🌿
1. Senses → Mind
Your eyes see, ears hear, skin feels, but the mind is what receives and processes these experiences.
So the mind is considered subtler and more powerful than the senses.
2. Mind → Intellect (Buddhi)
“बुद्धि मन से महान है।”
“Higher than the mind is the intellect.”
The mind produces thoughts, emotions and desires:
“I want this.” “I don't like that.” “I'm afraid.”
But Buddhi, the intellect, can step back and judge those thoughts:
“Is this desire good for me?”
“Should I act on this anger?”
So you have thoughts, but there is something within you capable of observing and guiding those thoughts.
3. Intellect → Atman
“बुद्धि से महान है आत्मा।”
“Greater than the intellect is the Self, the Atman.”
This goes one level deeper.
Your intellect also changes. Your opinions, knowledge and understanding today are different from what they were ten years ago.
But the Upanishadic idea asks:
Who is aware that your thoughts and understanding are changing?
That deeper principle of consciousness is called Atman, the Self.
It is not simply your personality, name, occupation, body, thoughts or memories.
Think of it like this:
Body: “I am experiencing something.”
Mind: “I feel something.”
Intellect: “I understand what I am feeling.”
Atman: “I am the awareness in which all of this is known.”
4. Atman → Avyakta
“आत्मा से परे है अव्यक्त।”
“Beyond the Self is the Unmanifest.”
Avyakta literally means “unmanifest”, something that has not taken a visible or individual form.
Imagine a tree.
You can see the branches, leaves and fruit. But before the tree appeared, its entire possibility existed invisibly within a tiny seed.
In a philosophical sense, Avyakta points toward the unmanifest ground from which the manifested world arises.
5. Avyakta → Purusha
Then comes the most powerful statement:
“अव्यक्त से à¤ी महान है पुरुष।”
“Beyond the Unmanifest is Purusha.”
And:
“वो पुरुष जो सर्वव्यापी है।”
“That Purusha who is all-pervading.”
Here, Purusha doesn't simply mean a human ‘man’.
It refers to the Supreme Conscious Principle, the ultimate reality beyond all limited forms.
So the progression can be pictured as:
Senses
↓
Mind (Manas)
↓
Intellect (Buddhi)
↓
Self (Atman)
↓
Unmanifest (Avyakta)
↓
✨ Purusha, the all-pervading Supreme Reality
❤️ The beautiful message behind it
We normally search outward:
“What should I own?”
“What should I achieve?”
“What will make me happy?”
This philosophy reverses the direction.
It says:
Don't stop at what your senses perceive.
Go beyond the senses to the mind.
Beyond the mind to the intellect.
Beyond the intellect to the Self.
And continue inward until you discover that the deepest reality is not merely your individual identity, but something universal and all-pervading.
So, in very simple words:
You are being asked to travel from “what I experience” → to “who is experiencing?” → and ultimately toward “what is the source of both the experiencer and existence itself?”
That's why this passage feels so profound. It isn't primarily giving information about God. It is giving a direction in which to look.
No comments:
Post a Comment